Adoption Counselor – $8.50/hour
Full-time position available. Weekends required. Must be at least 18 years old.
The Adoption Counselor is responsible for the successful placement of animals into home environments based on the needs and lifestyles of both the animals and customers. The position is responsible for evaluating and approving or denying applications for adoption. The position also performs duties including data entry, counseling on pet issues and assessment of animal behavior. The Adoption Counselor is also responsible for providing the public with a positive image of the organization through quality customer service and education.
• Provide exceptional customer service when interacting with the public at the shelter, off-site events, via telephone or through email
• Effectively communicate and interact with customers to determine lifestyle needs and potential pet matches; counsel customers on animal-related issues, breed specific behaviors and individual temperaments
• Evaluate Adoption Profiles to ensure all questions are answered, and responses meet HHHS guidelines for adoption; investigate and verify customer information; complete and finalize all adoption paperwork and submit to office personnel
• Follow-up adoptions through phone or email contact and document adoption outcome, potential problems and successes
• Input customer information into database(s); update animal information and provide detailed and precise notes when necessary
• Actively participate in television and other advertising events that highlight and promote adoptions; photograph animals for website
• Develop and write animal adoption summaries for each animal available for adoption to be uploaded to our website
• Resolve customer issues and concerns; refer unresolved grievances to supervisor
• Communicate any concerns or changes in animal behavior or health in a timely manner to coworkers, supervisors or other departments
• Other projects and responsibilities may be added at the organization’s discretion
• High school diploma or GED
• Valid driver’s license
• Basic computer skills
• Experience working in a customer service environment
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
• Ability to interact with impounded dogs, cats and other animals including vicious, stray, sick or injured animals.
• Ability to handle seeing and dealing with animals that have been abused, neglected or treated cruelly.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing with staff, the business community, business prospects and the public.
• Ability to work efficiently with attention to details and quality of work produced.
• Ability to exercise good judgment in setting priorities and organization of work load.
• Willingness to lead, take charge and offer opinions and direction.
To apply for positions, you may drop off your application during our open hours or email it to email@example.com.